Mt Nebo & Glorious Environmental Protection Association
MEPA is a community association which aims to protect the local environment and to promote awareness, understanding and enjoyment of it through education, discussion and community activities. The Association was formed some years ago by committed and active members of the community who were concerned by the environmental decline they saw around them. It continues to be active within the community with ongoing projects, and outside the community advocating to advance the Association's interests.
A major concern to many on the Range is the invasion of feral plants and animals into the surrounding bushland and much of MEPA's activity focusses on weeding, with feral animal eradication undertaken primarily by State and Local Government authorities. This focus on weeds involves a long term Strategic Weed Partnership across the southern D'Aguilar Ranges.
MEPA has also turned to energy and green house emission reduction. For info on this see the Off Grid Collective. MEPA's offgrid collective is a response to the problem offering consultancy through to installation.
OUR VISION IS OUR HABITAT.
MEPA was originally incorporated as "Mt. Nebo Environment Protection Association Inc." on 4th January 1990. The idea was put forward in July 1989 because a proposal for rezoning for subdivision of the block of land circling Forestry Road in Mt. Nebo had been advertised and an incorporated body was needed to fight an expected court case between the (then) Pine Rivers Shire Council and those objecting to the subdivision. Much work went into this battle until, after much effort and many meetings, the matter was settled out of court and the subdivision shelved.
MEPA's full name was changed on 19th April 1995 to "Mt. Nebo and Mt. Glorious Environment Protection Association Inc."
The Association has been involved in such projects as:
• Weed eradication, developing a Strategic Weed Partnership that now includes all the significant land managers in the area (i.e. the community through MEPA, Queensland Parks and Wildlife, Moreton Bay Regional Council, Brisbane City Council, Powerlink, Energex, Transport and Main Roads, and SEQ Catchments).
• Research into "Fire as a Tool for Bush Regeneration" focussing on the local forest environment.
• Environmental information sessions.
• Guest speakers at the Mt. Nebo and Mt Glorious halls on topics such as spiders, dingoes, fire in the forest, wildlife in the area as well as on local council and government environmental policy and directions.
• Developing a UNESCO Biosphere proposal for the D'Aguilar Range and surrounding areas. (When BCC, under Newman, pulled out at the last minute in 2008, the project was put "on ice".)
• Recent work has also focussed on installing solar power for local homes (incl. offering systems to suit the client).
Off Grid Collective
NB: installations are on hold while John is stuck abroad due to COVID.
AC & DC ROOFTOP SOLAR SYSTEMS
WHICH HOT WATER SYSTEM IS RIGHT FOR MY HOME?
RESTORATION OF EXISTING SYSTEMS
Installation of revolutionary new AC Micro inverters and high end panels selected with our mountain shade in mind.
Ph: (John King) 04 87294951
Advice and assistance regarding rebooting, upgrading, or making the move to off grid with an existing system.
OFF GRID COLLECTIVE
Renewable Energy Consultancy.
The Off Grid Collective is branch of MEPA set up to try and tackle issues such as the constant black out problem and a growing desire within the community to cut carbon emmissions. If you are at a cross roads with your hot water supply or are not sure what steps you should take to upgrade your household energy system then come and take the tour at one of our spec houses. On Forestry Rd we have an offgrid example and an AC grid tie address.
My name is John and my background in solar consists of 15 years of off grid living on a ship in the Netherlands and 4 years off grid on the mountain. Defining which way to go with an eye to going solar is easy, just call me or email me (see above for details).